Sunday, March 18, 2012

Seafoam Lace Scarf - Part 1

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I did not come prepared with a green, St. Patrick's Day project.  I should have held the Unbiased Cardi until this weekend.  Anyway, the project I am featuring this week does have some green in it, so that will be good enough.

When I was visiting MA over the Christmas holiday, I bought some yarn at The Wool Patch in Middleboro, MA (I mentioned it in my Vivica Beret post).  I bought yarn for two projects, the beret and this scarf.  This scarf comes from the book Feminine Knits by Lene Holme Samsøe.


In the book, it is called, simply, Lace Scarf, but that's pretty generic.  I have renamed it the Seafoam Lace Scarf because as I work it up, it is so light and airy and one of the colors in it is a seafoam green.  It reminds me of real seafoam when the water breaks on the beach and it creates the bubbles (foam).  That is how the lace pattern appears to me, foamy and light.

The scarf will be knitted in two different textured yarns.  First, I will knit the main scarf in Queensland Collection, Caracara, color # 003 (50% acrylic, 30% Nylon, 20% Kid Mohair).  The number 003 is not that descriptive, but it is a light green, mint and blue-violet variegation.  Then when the main lace scarf is complete, then I will crochet a lacy border with extra detailing at the ends with Elsebeth Lavold, Hempathy, color # 042 (41% Cotton, 34% Hemp, 25% Rayon).  Again, the number 042 is not helpful, but it is a grayed, baby blue.


In a nutshell, I will knit until I reach the length I want the scarf to be (about 30") or until I run out of yarn, whichever comes first.  I started this towards the end of February, by first making a gauge swatch to ensure that I can knit the lace pattern without too much trouble.


The scarf is only 5 1/2" wide, so it goes by quickly.  This is what I have done as of yesterday (Saturday):


It measures about 10", so that means I'm a third of the way done with the main scarf.  This project is definitely going to span a few posts.  I will have to remember to end the scarf with green, so that both sides will match.


See how light and airy it looks?  It is very delicate looking, but it is more durable than you think.  The mohair element of the yarn gives it that fuzzy, almost halo look. 

Very feminine, indeed.

No comments: