I bought this sweatshirt at a yard sale awhile ago. I bought it with the intention of cutting it up, but was not sure how just yet. Since I just finished the Aloha Maddie Baby Blanket, I found myself with nothing to do. :-)
I am figuring out what to do about my Glace Shrug, so not to worry. I do not think I have enough yarn to complete it, so I am trying a mixed media project with it. It'll be ready soon, promise!
So, back to the project at hand. I figured I needed a new project bag [insert hearty laugh here] so I wanted to do that with the material. I've worked with sweatshirt material before, so a couple of traits of this material are that it won't fray when you cut it and the cut edges will curl. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. Knowing these things, I am going to play off them.
First, I cut the sleeves and hood off and trimmed it so it's boxy.
Then I placed the right-sides together and pinned them to sew the side seams.
I started the stitching about a half inch from the top and bottom. This will help the material curl when washed.
I turned it right-side out and sewed the bottom ribbed edge together. I then took one of the sleeves and cut it up the seam to "butterfly" it. I trimmed the seam stitching off so that the material could lay flat. I cut the sleeve into 2" strips.
I evened out the ends so they were straight with a rotary cutter. I did not worry that they were not the same length. I then sewed three strips to each other, end-to-end, twice. These will be used as the handles.
I then folded each one the long way, wrong-sides together, and sewed each handle strip.
I positioned the handles on the inside of the top edge of the bag and arranged them so that they were long enough to be shoulder straps. I did some measuring to ensure that there was a bit of a margin at the top edge to allow for the curling. I sewed them in place with gray thread in a box with an X in the middle. During this, I was coming dangerously close to running out of thread.
The bobbin had about a few inches on it so I had to wind some more of this onto the bobbin. I was keeping my fingers crossed during this period!
Hold your breath...yes, I was able to finish with enough thread. Phew! (I even attached a few buttons on a pair a pants that had recently fell off with the remaining thread). Here is an inside view of the bag with all the handles attached.
Once this was done, I was pretty much done with the bag! I threw it in the wash so that you could see the rolling edge and broken-in look it had. I could even use this bag as a hand warmer using the kangaroo pouch!
I pulled a ball of yarn out of the closet and gave it a new home. I think of each project of yarn and a project bag as a hermit crab. Each set of yarn is like the crab and the bag is it's shell.
Awe, look at how cute this hermit crab is! The shell - fabulous!