I started and finished this project in 3 days. Yes, 3 days!! Let me start off by saying that I don't consider myself a crocheter and I feel when I start a crochet project, I have to relearn all the stitches again. Thank you to my sister, Kathy, who had to talk me through the basics (again) so I could start.
My inspiration for this was a conversation about back-to-school shopping. Vince's youngest daughter is starting high school and she had her shopping list written out with lots of detail. On the list was accessories, which included a hat. I asked, "What kind of hat?" I mean, who knows these days? She may have wanted a fedora or a ten-gallon. She wanted a beanie-like hat, but not really a beanie. I then asked, "A yamaka?" Her reply was, "Yea kind of." Okay, I had something to go on.
I went through my knit magazines and found one from a Berroco booklet called #225 - Scarves and More. The pattern was called Kathe. It was a crochet pattern and the yarn was Suede by Berroco. The color I chose was a pink shade they call Annie Oakley (100% nylon) because I already had it in my yarn stash. Yeah for using up stash yarn!
So, I start and right away something didn't seem right. They have you chain 5, connect to make a ring, then do 6 double crochets (dc) in the ring. Increase in the next round, etc. I found that the hat was already curling in on the third row. I did several rounds according to the pattern (and, yes, I even did a gauge swatch) and it was looking like the smallest hat in the word. I ripped it out and moved up from a G hook to an H hook and redid it. Still too small. Hmmmm, what is going on here?
After a day of trial and error I decided that I'm going to alter the pattern to what makes sense to me. Now, where do I get off altering crochet patterns when I can barely chain, is beyond me, but I was willing to try. I did the ring again on the H hook and made 9 dc in the ring. I increased like the pattern said to do for the first 5 rounds where the pattern was pretty basic: ch-1, dc, ch-1 in the spaces.
I'll admit, maybe 9 dc in the ring was too much because this was looking really flat and too loose on my head even though at this stage, I had the required amount of dc, ch-1 spaces as the pattern indicated. I decided to do a few rounds without increasing. Still too loose. Okay, my next round I just did dc in the spaces and left out the ch-1: a little better. I was feeling some confidence starting to rise up in me at this point.
My 12th round I did dc in the each space four times then skipped a space, then dc four times, etc. I was hoping this would tighten it up a bit and it did. Whoo-hoo, my plan is working!
I finished as how the pattern read with 3 rounds of single crochet (sc) in the back loop but moved up one more hook size to an I (it was really tight with the sc rounds on the H hook). Okay, I'm admitting that I have no clue where the back loop was, but I worked into something in the back around each time.
Ta-da! I say, not bad for my first, "let's wing it" project. Crochet is so much faster and a bit more forgiving than knitting it. I still feel more confident when I knit than crochet, but I do enjoy doing a crochet item every once in awhile.
I am imagining this is how the daughter will wear it.
She is actually going to high school in another state, so this was her last week in Florida. I finished in time to give this to her before she left for the airport. Good luck, G! I'll see you at Christmas!