Sunday, December 18, 2011

Knitting Needle Wrap

I'm visiting my sister and yes, I am making socks!  It is harder than I thought, but I'm managing.  I will cover my socks at a later date - it's too soon to show it off since I have not made it past the toes.

I will talk about what I made over Thanksgiving weekend.  Vince's eldest daughter has gotten into knitting and she doesn't really have that many knitting needles yet.  I decided to make her a Knitting Needle Wrap.  This wrap is a fabric roll-up case.

I first chose two different fabrics, one as a main color (MC) and the second as the contrast color (CC).

Fabric on the Left is the Needle Wrap

The MC is the black with flower vines and the CC is the maroon.  Retail, these needle cases go for about $39-$50.  No way am I paying that if I got the skillz!  Here's a mini tutorial, so you can have the skillz, too!

Materials:
  • Half yard of two different fabrics, MC & CC
  • Matching Thread
  • 1 yard of 5/8" Grosgrain Ribbon
  • Fusible Webbing (aka Interface)
  • Iron & Ironing Board
  • Pressing Cloth
  • Straight Pins
  • Chalk
  • Ruler (to measure and as a straight edge)
  • Scissors / Rotary Cutter & Mat
First, cut each fabric piece to a 21" x 18" rectangle.  This will accommodate both length of needles.

Measure Twice, Cut Once!

Cut a piece of fusible webbing the same size or larger as the CC fabric.  You may have to cut a few pieces to cover the entire area.  As long as it's covered, it will be fine.  This will give a bit of stability to the wrap.

Applying the Fusible Webbing

Lay out the CC fabric, right side down, on the ironing board or pressing area.  Cover the back of the CC with the fusible webbing, following the directions on the side that needs to be facing the fabric. 

Take the pressing cloth and wet it and wring it out good.  It just needs to be damp.  Place cloth down and then the iron (on the hottest setting for the fabric type) and lay it on the pressing cloth.  This is one of the only times you are allowed to put the iron down and leave it!  Follow the directions for the rest of the application.  Trim away the rest of the webbing that is extended beyond the fabric.

Time to sew:  Place the MC and the CC, right sides together.   Pin them together.  The webbing should be facing out.

Right Side Together

Sew a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a space on one of the sides as a turning hole.  (I found that the webbing should face the dogfeed.  It made my foot all sticky when I did it with it facing up and therefore was not advancing well).  Trim any excess fabric (like if your fabric was not perfectly lined, you can now trim it to a 1/4" seam allowance).  Trim the corners off.

Turn it right side out and fix the corners so they are pointy.

Turning Hole

Iron the whole thing, making the edges even, pushing them out from the inside, if necessary.  Iron the fabric at the turning hole so they are 1/4" inside, lining up with the rest of the edge.

Perimeter Sewing...Zipper Foot Works Good!

Sew around the perimeter of the item, a 1/4" from the edge or less.  Sewing straight lines at the edges of things is definitely not my strong suit.  I tried to sew it so I sewed over a bit of the inside allowance.  Line up the fabric when going over the turning hole area.

Take the item and lay it out with the CC facing and longest part perpendicular to yourself (long side, going up and down).

Fold Up for Needle Pockets

Fold the bottom hem up about 5".  This will be the needle pockets.  Pin the sides and then sew them down to make one wide pocket.

Individual Pockets, Here We Come!

My width was about 17", so I figured I would make each pocket about 1.5" wide.  You can make more or less pockets.  I was able to get 11 pockets out of this scheme.

Take a ruler and measure out 1.5" and make a straight line down the pocket with chalk.  These will be the guidelines.  Make sure they are where you want them.

Sew up each chalk line, individually.  With the damp pressing cloth, wipe off the chalk.  Almost done, promise!

Ribbon, Where You At?

Take the ribbon and find the middle.  Pin the middle of the ribbon to the middle of the right outside edge.  (Can be the left side if you are a lefty).  Sew along where the stitching already is (aka, topstitch the ribbon in place).

Yeah, You Are Done!

Place your needles in the pockets and you are done!  The pockets are wide enough so that a few pairs of needles will fit in each one.  Now, roll the case from the left to the right towards the ribbon.

Non-Fruit Roll-Up!

The ribbon is long enough to wrap around a few times.  Then tie in a nice bow.  I suggested a yard so that the ribbon, when tied, hangs long.  My preference, so shorten to your liking. 

Once the length is set, take a lighter and burn the edges so they won't fray.  Be careful!!

How Does Saving $30 Feel??


Now go to your local knitting hangout and show off your new needle wrap.  I had gotten the needles shown at a yard sale for $3.  It was a set from size 1 to size 11.  It was missing a size 7, though.  Not bad!  I will go out and buy a pair of 7 bamboo needles to complete the set for the gift.

If you make one, send me a pic.  I would love to see it.

Happy Knitting!

No comments: