Sunday, November 21, 2010

Trio Scarf

I am starting to think of Christmas.  Yes, I want to actually complete Christmas shopping / making homemade gifts before Christmas this year.  For my homemade gifts I always have the greatest intentions, but I either bite off more than I can chew or start too late to finish them.  There are countless projects that I have thought of but could not get the materials in time or projects that I have started only to determine that it was a flop.  Don't get me wrong, I do get to complete a few homemade gifts each year, just not all the ones I think up.

This year I want to accomplish homemade gifts within my skill set.  Oh c'mon, you're saying, where's the fun in that?  There is plenty of fun in that because it will be me actually finishing projects and giving them as gifts to wow the recipient.  I'm sure you have found by making a homemade gift yourself that when someone realizes that it was homemade, they have a new appreciation for it, and for you for taking the time to make something for them.  I intend on not going crazy with large or expensive, but with something simple and under $20.  Although, I do have to admit, I don't think I am making anything for the men on my Chistmas list.  It is a bit much to make something for everyone.  So, it will just be the women/girls on my list this year.

The first thing that I have completed is a trio scarf.  This scarf is knit with three different types of yarn for a mixed textured look.  I got the idea when searching through the free patterns on the Berroco website.  They have hundreds of free patterns and you can download them without having to give your email address.  The pattern is a simple 4" wide, 6' long scarf with long fringe.  I went to my local yarn store, Knit 'n Knibble, and found some really cool yarn.


Yarn Elements


The teal colored yarn is Katia Sevilla, it is 100% nylon.  This yarn came on a cardboard cylinder like the purple one, but it was so slippery, that I had to wrap it on a makeshift spool or it would get tangled on itself.  The purple metallic yarn is Berroco Opulent FX and that is also 100% nylon.  Those yarns are considered 'novelty yarn.'  You normally mix these types in with another yarn, they are not normally worked up on their own.  They are what give plain cotton or wool yarn a pop.  The main yarn is South Company Rio de la Plata, it is a thick-thin kettle-dyed 100% wool.  This yarn I selected first and then the novelty yarn to match.

I tried the pattern as written and did not like it.  It left huge ladders on either side and it rolled alot.  I also was not achieving the recommended gauge on size 13 needles.  This is just a scarf and gauge is not a deal-breaker, but it will affect the look of the scarf.  I ended up using size 17. 

Too skinny!  Needs more fat!

This should be 4" wide and I was getting 3" on a 13, then 3.5" on a 15, then finally 4" on a 17.  Geesh.  After all that, I knitted several inches was when I saw the ladders and the rolling.  So I changed the pattern a bit to:

Cut fringe by measuring out 22, 18" length set of the main color (MC; cotton or wool) and another set of 22, 18" lenghts of the novelty yarn (B) (I did the teal as B)
Cut additional fringe by measuring out 42, 18" lengths of the other novelty yarn (C) (I did the purple one as C, since the purple yarn is not uniform, I cut double the amount)
Cast on (CO) 12 sts with the main color (MC) on a size that will give you a width of 4"
R1: k1, p1, repeat to end
R2: p1, k1, repeat to end (this is a seed st or moss st)
Repeat R1 & R2 one more time for a total of 4 rows
R5: k1, p1, k1, k6, p1, k1, p1
R6: p1, k1, p1, p6, k1, p2, k1
Repeat R5 & R6 until about 4" has been knitted
Pick-up one of the novelty yarns (B) by hold both the MC and B tog and repeat R5 & R6 until about 4" has been knitted
Drop B and pick-up the other novelty yarn (C) and hold with MC and repeat R5 & R6 until about 4" has been knitted
Switch between holding B with MC and holding C with MC until it is the desired length.
Repeat R1 and R2 for a total of 4 rows
Bind off
Applying the fringe: Take one length each of MC & B and two lengths of C
Evenly attach these four strands as one to the end of the scarf with a large crochet hook.  I put 11 sets of fringe on each end.  I also left the tail of the CO so it will mix in with the fringe.


Cut fringe before you start knitting


Yes, this still had a roll, but not as bad as the original design.  Maybe that was the charm of the original design.  I added the seed st in hopes of avoiding the roll, but it didn't work.  I did avoid the ladders, though.

Shimmering in the light

This scarf worked-up quick.  I knitted while watching tv, carpooling, and waiting to leave work.  You can literally knit this scarf for miles!  I ended it after 6 feet (not including fringe).   Here it is complete:


I love the colors!

I am pleased on how this came out.  I still have yarn left-over.  Maybe in my free time I will knit up a child scarf with the extra [insert biting-off-more-than-I-can-chew statement here].  We will see.  I plan on knitting one more scarf like this but the MC has all purple hues.  Instead of the teal, I have a cream from Katia and will use the left-over purple novelty from Berroco.  These will be given as gifts, even though I am loving this scarf.

Can someone make me one?!?

Maybe I can put this on my Christmas list and get one too!  I gave you the pattern, so get knitting!  I have lots of extra yarn from past projects, maybe I will make another mixed scarf, but when I do that, I will keep it.  Yeah, right!  No, I mean, of course!  This blog is about completing projects, so, yes, I will make one for myself.  It just might not be until next winter. 

It is worth learning how to knit or crochet.  Even if all you make are scarves or potholders, it is something to be proud of!

3 comments:

n8swife said...

This turned out so pretty! I'm sure the recipient is going to love it:0)

n8swife said...

P.S. I especially LOVE the fringe. It makes it look so luxurious!

Nancy said...

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback! Yes, the long fringe really is what makes the scarf. Keep reading!