Sunday, February 10, 2013

Dishtowel Aprons

I made my first set of dishtowel aprons back in the early 2000's with a little help from Martha Stewart.  I subscribed to Living back then and got the idea from that.

This project is going to be a birthday gift for a friend and I made a matching one for her daughter.

You will need only a few items:
  • Dishtowel, any size
  • Twill tape (any width, I used 3/4" wide)
    • This is bought at Joann's in the zipper section
  • Scissors
  • Needle & thread


First, I went shopping for some cute dish towels.  The ones I found were really long so I got another idea from that.  Then you will need one package of twill tape for each towel you make.


I cut a portion off the bottom and will make a pocket from this.  A fabulous idea, if I don't say so myself!


To do this, I flipped the towel over so wrong side is facing up.  I placed my pocket, also wrong side facing up, lining up the raw edges.  I sewed a 1/4" seam on the raw edge.


I took the pocket and flipped it to the front.  This has both the towel and pocket right sides facing out.  I sewed up the sides and along the bottom again.  This just so the pocket is not puffy, but is flat against the towel.


I sewed up the middle of the pocket to bisect it.  I sewed right up the middle blue stripe.


Next, take the twill tape and cut a length that is comfortable length around your neck, about 20-23".  This is the neck strap.  Fold the top left corner in 2" and then back to meet the fold 1".  Place one end of the neck strap in-between one of the folds.  Pin.  Do the same for the right side.  Try the apron on and adjust one side until it is comfortable.

Sew through all layers of the fold and twill tape.  I used a zipper foot to get close to the towel's seams.


Take the remainder of the twill tape and fold in half to determine the middle.  Cut so you have two equal lengths.  Try the apron on again and mark where your natural waist is.  Pin the twill tape end to the two places that were marked on the wrong side of the apron.  Pin it so the tape is coming out of the side of the apron.  Sew in place.

I made the daughter's apron first, where she is tiny, so the apron top is very taken in.


For the neck of the daughter's apron, I left the twill tape as two separate straps so that her Mom can adjust it as she grows.


Here they are...this is a really quick project.  Perfect for a housewarming gift or a gift to a new bride.


Of course, I have to model everything...


Try your hand at a dishtowel apron.  Have fun!

No comments: