Sunday, April 8, 2012

Blueberry Oatcakes

Happy Easter!

For Easter breakfast, we made up some healthy oatcakes.  Now, oatcakes are not the first thing that comes to mind when you think Easter, but it was a recipe that I wanted to try out.

Vince's daughter gave me a few old Self magazines from last year and while I was thumbing through one of them, I came across a few yummy, albeit healthy, recipes.  I don't mind healthy recipes, but I feel bad subjecting others to it (only sometimes, some recipes are so good that you can't tell they are healthy).

I will share the recipe, so everyone can eat healthy in the morning, too!  

Yummy!  (Really!!)

The recipe is from the September 2011 issue.  They are called Blueberry Oatcakes.  This is a gluten-free recipe, and they were really good.  Here it is:

Blueberry Oatcakes
Yields: 4 oatcakes
Calories: 341 for all 4 
(does not include the optional ingredients)
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (old fashioned oats)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp water
  • 1/3 cup blueberries (or more, if you like)
  • 1 tbsp sliced almonds
  • 1/4 cup fat-free greek yogurt (optional)
  • 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
  1. In a bowl, combine the egg whites, oats, cinnamon and water; whisk for 1 min.
  2. Stir in the blueberries and almonds.
  3. Heat a skillet to medium heat.  Spray skillet with cooking spray.
  4. Spoon the batter onto hot skillet and cook until the egg is set on the bottom (~2 min).
  5. Flip the oatcakes over and cook for another min.
  6. Optional: Spread the greek yogurt over the oatcakes and top with the syrup.
At first I did not think the yogurt would be very good on these, but it actually was.  The syrup is needed, but everyone uses a different amount, so I did not include that ingredient in the calorie total.  I just put the syrup in a small cup and dipped my cut up pieces in it.  The oatcakes soak up the syrup like crazy, so this way you control the amount of syrup to a decent portion size.

Really, these were good!  The recipe makes about 3-4 oatcakes, and this really is one serving size.  But because it has oats and almonds, it will keep you going in the morning.

You can always substitute any diced up fruit in these oatcakes.   

If you don't have time in during the week to whip these up, try them on the weekend.  Let me know what you think!! 

Thank you Self magazine, I never would have come up with this recipe!

No comments: